Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Daydreams of Cross-dressers

Hannah McKnight has some thoughts on the dreamy side of our "hobby":

Growing up I would dream about wearing pretty dresses....Yes, I saw what a cute girl was wearing, but I also saw what she was wearing, if you follow me. Yes, she looked cute in that dress, but OMG how cute was the dress itself?

When I was in my early 20’s this world opened up even further. I worked in an office and I saw my colleagues wear business clothes. What a girl could wear to a meeting was just as cute as what she could wear to a dance. Similar to wanting to wear that plaid jumper when I was in grade school I daydreamed about wearing black heels, a pencil skirt, a white blouse, and a jacket as I put on my necktie every morning.

If my website has a… mission, I suppose, it’s that I want to be honest and realistic about this side of us.... We all will feel dysphoria and hopeless, and getting over that may require us getting better at makeup (if that’s what you feel you need to do), but modifying our thinking plays a part of it too. Shifting from “trying to pass” to embracing and celebrating how you look is HUGE. It’s the most important part about this side of us.

I still fantasize about the same things that I daydreamed about while I was growing up. I saw my sisters play princesses and I wanted to do that too. Even now I fantasize about wearing a beautiful pink gown and a tiara....Despite the clothes in my closet and what I have done, I could name a dozen things I still fantasize about. I want to fly pretty, I want to spend an entire day from waking up to going to sleep en femme. I want to do a lingerie photo shoot. Have a princess tea party. Wear a corseted dress at the Renaissance Fair. Strut down the catwalk. Play tennis in a short, pleated skirt. Sit by a pool in a bathing suit. Be a bridesmaid. The homecoming queen.

We are who we are. We won’t grow out of this side of us (and I thank God for that). Who we wear, and what we wanted to wear, when we were younger is still with us. It always has been and it always will be.

No comments: