Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Look at Me; Ignore Me

Hannah's thoughts on going out in public:

When I am out en femme, I scan every store I walk into. I am not only checking to make sure I am not going to see anyone that I know, but I am also sizing up the people that I will be shopping with. Being obviously trans, I know the world isn’t as safe or as friendly as we would like it to be, and being aware of your surroundings is an absolute must.

For the most part, my adventures have been either incredibly affirming or remarkably boring. Of course, there has been the occasional negative experience, but those have been (thankfully) few and far between. People do stare, people do look over their shoulders, people do double-takes. And really, that’s okay. I stand out, not only as a t-girl, but also because I am over six feet tall, wearing high heels and a super cute dress. I am waaaay overdressed for Target.

Yesterday’s errands brought a new perspective to all this. As I wandered around the store, I noticed a t-girl doing her shopping as well. She was tall (aren’t we all), had amazing eye makeup, and a cute outfit. I noticed her because of her outfit and makeup, but also, to be honest, she is trans.

I noticed her in the same way you might notice someone who is wearing a t-shirt of your favorite band on it. We had something in common, but she had no idea that we did.



4 comments:

Christy said...

sweetie I have followed your things for decades , never knew you were so cute and adorable and although that dress is short you rock it and look perfect. Don't ever worry you look adorable and your smile says your happy... I can see you enjoy the mall just like I do.. please stay cute and adorable.. keep wearing those skirts, since I cant now at 70-... sighs...

kisses

Diane Leonard
diane91020
email tiffanybalczo@yahoo.com

Pretty Sissy Dani said...

FTR, that photo isn't me...it's Hannah, the author of the piece I linked to and quoted.

Anonymous said...

You look lovely!! cd sara

Pretty Sissy Dani said...

Sara: As I noted in response to Diane...that's Hannah, not me.