Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Getting to Know You

Hannah McKnight talks about discovering yourself and others while en femme:

As I got to know Hannah, I was very surprised at how different she was from the male side of me. I “met” Hannah at the same time and at the same pace as my wife got to know her. Letting another gender identity and gender presentation come to the surface is an experience like no other. You feel a wide range of emotions. These emotions are usually triggered by what you may be wearing. For a very long time you were all wingtips and work boots. Neckties and facial hair. Now you could be wearing anything from a long blonde wig, to red press-on nails, to a little black dress or your first pair of pumps. You feel apprehensive, self-conscious, nervous, and a little afraid. You also feel beautiful. And happy. And calm. And…well, it feels right.

I am pretty confident in both of my genders, but Hannah has a level that surprises me. I suppose she needs that if she is going to strut through the Mall of America wearing stilettos and a bodycon dress. But that confidence is there online, too. Hannah has no qualms with reaching out to businesses like Glamour Boutique or The Breast Form Store about modeling or product review opportunities. Could I ever do something equivalent in my male life? Could I ever be so bold? I wonder.

No comments: