Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Poll thoughts

I'm not really surprised that Julia Roberts is making such a strong showing in this week's "Women We'd Love to Be" contest...but I am astonished that so few of you would want to be Liz Taylor!

C'mon, nobody has a hankering to look like La Liz circa Father of the Bride or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? Nobody with a yearning to dress up in Cleopatra drag? What about (as Garry Trudeau once called them) "violet eyes to die for"?

I'm not pushing any one of these five above the others...and it'd take an enormous influx of new votes to displace Julia now...but I'm really boggled by the lack of interest in one of the great sex symbols of our time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably too many don't remember THAT Liz. They can't get past the over-weight diva that hangs with Michael Jackson.

With polls, everyone has their own notion of the "rules." Being one of these women, when? Sometimes you specify like Connie Stevens, others you don't? Experiencing THAT woman's life, or experiencing your own destiny in THAT woman's body? I'm certainly not criticizing your poll or anything else. Just offering my opinion as a possible explanation.

I've tried a poll on my own blog and have been surprised by the results too. For me, it's really less about the numbers than the "why" behind them. If only more people would comment! It's boggling how many surf but never talk about the waves.

So, hand me that magic wand, transform me into the Liz you're thinking of and let me walk around in her heels today!

Pretty Sissy Dani said...

I'll have to keep that in mind as I continue with this.

Usually, I list some "reminder" of the person if I think they're a little obscure or maybe outside the memory range of the current generation.

Perhaps I should do it more often and for everybody.