Friday, November 17, 2017

"It's Absurd...

...that a man in a dress warrants discussion - but I'm stared at every time I go out" is the headline on this essay by a New Zealand university lecturer.

I’ve wanted to dress this way for as long as I remember. But it took over forty years to pluck up the courage and dress openly in women’s clothes. The first day I did is one I’ll never forget and will never be allowed to forget.

It was on the 27 July 2015 that forces stirred inside of me and swept me off of my nylon sheathed feet, out of my front door, and dumped me into the middle of the campus, a point from which there was no return. Neither students nor colleagues were forewarned. To them and to strangers - many now will have read about me in the national press here in New Zealand, heard me talk on national radio and, probably goggle-eyed, seen pictures of me in the celebrity gossip magazine Woman’s Day - I will forever be the lecturer who dresses in women’s clothes. Good.

Her entire essay is worth reading.

Please respond to the survey at the right (details here)!

No comments: