Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why I'm Not Dressing This Week...

...because I had a colonoscopy this morning.

Although the actual procedure--from admittance to discharge--took only two hours, the prep time is nearly 48 hours. You have to stop eating solid food before you go to bed two nights before...and then spend all of the next day on clear liquids: water, juices, broths, gelatin, soft drinks. Plus you have to take some laxatives--two bottles of magnesium citrate and some pills. And nothing--not even water--after midnight. You don't get to eat real food until after it's all done and even then you're recovering from some 36 hours of restricted diet. (I'm only now...at nearly 10 PM of the day of the procedure...feeling anything like normal.)

In addition, you're under a mild anesthetic during the procedure, so you're not allowed to drive for the rest of the day, either.

That meant I was too wrapped up in all that to dress this week.

Was it all worth it? Absolutely--I got a clean bill of health; important, because I have a family history of colon cancer. If you do as well, get to a doctor and schedule a colonoscopy as soon as you can.

No comments: