Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Crossing the Line

More thoughts from Hannah McKnight:

I define being transgender as any deviation from the traditional gender and societal norms for the gender we are assigned to at birth. Yes, this is a broad perspective but I like that it can cover quite almost all of us. Whether you are a drag queen, a part-time t-girl like myself or you just enjoy panties or painting your nails, we are all under this inclusive umbrella.

Under this definition, I have always been trans. Even before I knew how to spell it, I was transgender. And I will still be transgender in ten years from now. This isn’t something we outgrow. If you’ve been reading my ramblings for a while you know that the hill I will die on is that this is not a phase.

Accepting myself as transgender has given me the confidence, and in a way, permission to wear whatever I want. There are some of us who want nothing more than to wear that red dress we saw at the mall. But we just can’t do it. Buying that dress means that we are entering a new world. We would cross that line from “I wonder what it’s like to wear a dress” to “I own a dress”.

No comments: