Wednesday, March 6, 2019

It'll Never Be Okay

A fascinating essay from Hannah McKnight:

I am not aware of any state that has laws that says that men cannot wear eyeliner or yoga pants. Let me know if I’m wrong. But what the law says and what societal norms are can be very different. Just because there is or isn’t a law about something it doesn’t mean people will change their opinions and attitudes.

My point is that even if the newspapers all over the world printed a headline that read “It’s Okay to Wear Whatever You Want”, it’s still not going to be “okay”. It’s not “okay” for me to wear whatever I want. But that’s fine, I don’t need permission from anyone when it comes to something like clothing. Even if that headline was published, there will always be the chance someone will laugh, point or threaten us whether we are rocking those stilettos or simply glaming up our eyes with a little mascara.

No comments: