Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Who's That T-Girl?

Hannah McKnight has some interesting thoughts on living a double life:

They say clothes make the man. I agree. Clothes also can make the t-girl.

When I step into my pink stilettos, or a leather mini-dress, or a cute skirt, I become who I am.

But I don’t think this person is “the real me”. She’s part of me, literally my other half. High heels and dresses make me who I am just as much as a t-shirt with my favorite band on it in male mode. My clothes, in either gender, represent who I am. There is no denying that clothes transform us. Not only in how we look, but how we feel about ourselves. I don’t think I am alone in feeling absolutely beautiful when I am en femme. But I also feel brave. I feel confident. In a world that doesn’t understand us, strutting into the mall in a skirt and pumps is one of the most courageous things we can do.

Hannah doesn’t do anything that I wouldn’t do when I present as male. This is not a Jekyll and Hyde thing, after all. I enjoy art, but I don’t spend afternoons at a museum. However, Hannah does. For one reason, it’s just simply more fun to do thing en femme. It can be something as simple as waiting for a coffee, walking down the street or wandering around a department store. Life in these moments has slowed down and I am spending time just… being. I think it’s good for me.

In male mode I tend to be a little more introverted and prefer to spend time at home. Hannah is chatty, more social, and friendlier. She has more friends than I do. Although these characteristics are not ones she shares with the male side of me, they are not in conflict with each other. I do like chatting with people, but I am usually in too much of a rush to do so. Time moves slower en femme.

No comments: